Tom Fassaert (Naarden, 1979) has been fascinated by his grandmother Marianne, who lives in South Africa, from an early age. His only knowledge of her comes from the mythical – and in the main negative – stories he heard from his father. She was a femme fatale who went through countless men; and in the 1950s, a famous model who put her two sons into a children’s home. She was also a mother who suddenly decided out of the blue to emigrate to South Africa, far away from the rest of her family. When his father and his now 95-year-old grandmother again become embroiled in conflict, Fassaert’s fascination with his family history is reignited. During this period, his grandmother also asks him to come to South Africa to help her with her will. He decides to make a film about this woman, who has such a huge influence on her family, and to get to the bottom of the enduring myths and legends surrounding her. But his venture quickly becomes way more complicated than he could ever have imagined.
- View From A Blue Moon (2015) See the sport of surfing as it’s never been captured before in John Florence and Blake Vincent Kueny’s second signature release, this time in association with the award-winning film studio Brain Farm. The first surf film shot in 4K, View From a Blue Moon follows the world’s most dynamic […]
- Diary of a Chambermaid (2015) Journal d’une femme de chambre Journal d'une femme de chambre
France, around 1900. Coming from the vibrancy of Paris, pert Célestine is procured as a chambermaid in Normandy. In the Lanlaire's villa she encounters the lecherous man of the house and his asexual, tyrannical and jealous wife. Célestine is determined to […]
- Tale of a Lake (2016) Original Title: Järven tarina
Tale of a Lake is a film about the thousands of lakes that Finland is known for. It takes the viewers on an unprecedented adventure, ranging from the crystal clear springs all the way to the basins of the big lakes. It opens a whole new world of underwater […]
- Freedom (2014) Two men separated by 100 years are united in their search for freedom. In 1856 a slave, Samuel Woodward and his family, escape from the Monroe Plantation near Richmond, Virginia. A secret network of ordinary people known as the Underground Railroad guide the family on their journey north […]
- The Lovers and the Despot (2016) They were the Brangelina of ’70s South Korea—the romance between the debonair film director Shin Sang-ok and glamorous actress Choi Eun-hee took them to the heights of South Korean society. Fame took a toll on their love, but it also attracted unbelievable twists of fate. The two find […]