Can changing your surroundings alter how food and drink tastes? Prof Alice Roberts and a group of diners enjoy a culinary experience with a difference. The music, lighting and even the shape of the plates are changed throughout the meal to see what effect this has on how we perceive the taste of food. Sensory gastronomy is a new field of scientific research and although it may sound unfamiliar, its findings have practical applications. For instance, it has been found that drinks can be made to taste 10% sweeter simply by adding red food colouring. Also peanut butter – is it a health food or a junk food? Alice investigates the science behind this popular spread.
If you have ever tried and failed to cook roast potatoes, don’t despair – chef Tom Kerridge has the secret to perfect roasties every time. He also reveals another of his trade secrets and this time it is how to transform a simple piece of fish into something any professional chef would be proud of.
With the help of food scientists and a panel of taste testers, our consumer journalist Sean Fletcher investigates the ingredients in the great British banger. He wants to find out if own-brand basic sausages are just as healthy and tasty as the expensive premium variety.
DOWNLOAD SUBTITLE NOW(1 downloads) Aired May 21, 2016
- Food Detectives S01E03 – Episode 3 In this series, scientist Prof Alice Roberts, chef Tom Kerridge and journalist Sean Fletcher are keen to improve your cooking, your health and your bank balance by dishing up the plain facts about our foodWe spend a staggering four and a half billion pounds on diet drinks a year. They […]
- Food Detectives S01E01 – Episode 1 Scientist Alice Roberts, chef Tom Kerridge and consumer journalist Sean Fletcher unite their expertise to help viewers make the best food choices. In the first edition, Alice investigates campylobacter, the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK, often found on fresh chilled […]
- Food Detectives S01E02 – Episode 2 One of the fastest growing trends in our supermarkets is gluten-free foods. You can buy everything from gluten free bread and cakes to tins of soup. So is gluten really that bad for us? Should we all be going gluten free? Prof Alice Roberts tests the claim that some people feel less […]
- Hairy Bikers: Chicken & Egg S1E02 – France Season 01, Episode 02 — “France”
Si and Dave are determined to find out why French chickens are heralded as the poshest birds on the planet. They start their investigations in Lyon, arguably the home of modern French gastronomy, to discover the secrets behind haute cuisine. They visit a […]
- Food Detectives S01E04 – Episode 4 Sean takes a look at a firm store cupboard favourite, baked beans whilst Tom is on a mission to help somebody in Glasgow to fix their flat Yorkshire puddings.