Jimmy visits Ecuador, the largest banana exporter in the world, to investigate remarkable claims that the banana could one day be used in the fight against a number of viruses including HIV and influenza. Kate goes in search of the food industry’s Holy Grail: a meat substitute that actually tastes of meat. Scientists in the Netherlands have developed a product called ‘plant meat’, but does it taste like the real thing? Can these vegetarian steaks, chicken pieces and sausage rolls fool the taste buds of three meat-loving barbecue chefs? What are those green bits you find on some crisps, and are they safe to eat? To find out, Matt visits one of Britain’s largest crisp manufacturers, where he sees the high-tech machinery employed to weed out the green ones before they hit our crisp packets.
DOWNLOAD SUBTITLE NOW(2 downloads) Aired April 13, 2016
- Food Unwrapped S08E03 – S08E03 Jimmy Doherty visits Ecuador, the largest banana exporter in the world, to investigate claims that the fruit could one day be used in the fight against a number of viruses including HIV and influenza. Kate Quilton goes in search of a meat substitute that delivers its promise on the […]
- Food Unwrapped S08E52 – Not To Be Missed Missions Season 08, Episode 52 – “Not To Be Missed Missions”
A look back at a selection of investigations from the Food Unwrapped casebook. Jimmy Doherty asks why so much bacon in supermarkets is Danish, and learns how mites are used to make some traditionally matured cheese. Kate Quilton finds […]
- Food Unwrapped S06E09 – Crabs, Greens, Gummy Sweets Jimmy Doherty investigates a new technology developed in Ireland that uses high pressure to force crabs, lobsters and mussels to pop clean out of their shells. Kate Quilton learns why toddlers are hardwired to avoid unfamiliar foods and examines techniques to get fussy eaters to eat […]
- Food Unwrapped S08E01 – Dates, Sausages, Apples New series. Jimmy Doherty heads to Sicily, where a vast network of tunnels leads to a subterranean salt-processing plant. Kate Quilton looks at free range hens, and is surprised to learn that most chicks on British farms have their beaks trimmed at birth. In the Netherlands, she visits a […]
- Food Unwrapped S06E08 – Plums, Vegetables, Cherry Tomatoes Putting plums, prunes and prune juice to the test, Jimmy Doherty heads to King's College London to make a concoction that will help keep people's bowel movements regular. In Holland, Matt Tebbutt meets a Dutch pioneer who may have unlocked the secret to growing vegetables using sea […]