Season 1, Episode 1
Joanna starts her journey across Japan in Hokkaido. Joanna heads to Sapporo and meets members of the local indigenous community, the Ainu. She visits a sake brewery that’s been working since 1689. She visits one of the oldest Pagodas in Japan, constructed out of wood, using no nails. Joanna also visits the Fukushima exclusion zone and Jigokudani Onsen . Joanna travels by Shinkansen (bullet train) from Nagano to Tokyo, to investigate Japan’s post war economic boom.
Joanna’s 2,000 mile journey through Japan as she explores some of the most uncharted corners of the country’s 6,800 mystical islands. In Hokkaido, Joanna traverses the island’s areas of outstanding natural beauty, meeting some of the country’s most endangered wild animals en route, before heading south towards Tokyo and the ancient capital of temple-filled Kyoto. On foot she takes in the forgotten island of Shikoku – one of Japan’s four main islands – home to the Iya Valley and the yuzu fruit flavours now becoming popular in UK supermarkets. Finally, after exploring the geologically active region of Kyushu with its volcanic landscape and abundance of hot springs, Joanna finishes her journey in Kohama, one of Japan’s smallest and most remote pacific islands, luxuriating on its idyllic beaches.
DOWNLOAD SUBTITLE NOW(17 downloads) Aired September 10, 2016
- Joanna Lumley’s Japan S01E02 – Episode 2 Season 1, Episode 2
The second of three programmes in which Joanna Lumley explores the country and culture of Japan. Joanna starts her journey this time round by flying over the city of Tokyo in a helicopter. The city was bombed extensively during the Second World War, so almost all of […]
- Joanna Lumley’s Japan S01E03 – Episode 3 Season 1, Episode 3
Last of three programmes in which Joanna Lumley explores the country and culture of Japan. Joanna travels to the island of Shikoku to undertake a pilgrimage, visiting a selection of temples to gain a better understanding of Japanese Buddhism. She then takes a bullet […]
- Judging Japan (2016) This is the story of the Tokyo Trial - the international military tribunal that opened in May of 1946 to prosecute the Japanese leaders for war crimes.
- Love That Makes You Cry (2016) いつかこの恋を思い出してきっと泣いてしまう Follows the story of love, friendship and growth of six young men and women who move from countryside to the big city of Tokyo, each with their own dreams and aspirations. Among them is Sugihara Oto and Soda Ren. After her mother died, Oto was raised by adoptive parents in Hokkaido. […]
- Hairy Bikers: Chicken & Egg S01E06 – UK 2 Season 01, Episode 06 — “UK 2”
Our island nation is one of the most cosmopolitan and culinary diverse countries in the world. The Bikers question whether the best chicken dish in the world might actually be at our doorstep! They head to Bromsgrove for some of the best jerk chicken in […]