Season 1, Episode 2 – “Ancestors”
Michael Wood tells the tale of China’s first great international age under the Tang Dynasty (618-907). From the picturesque old city of Luoyang, he travels along the Silk Road to the bazaars of central Asia and into India on the track of the Chinese monk who brought Buddhism back to China. This tale is still loved by the Chinese today and is brought to life by storytellers, films and shadow puppet plays.
DOWNLOAD SUBTITLE NOW(12 downloads) Aired January 31, 2016
- Da Tang Xuan Zang (2016) Original Title: 大唐玄奘
Buddhism-themed Chinese-Indian historical adventure film based on Xuanzang's seventeen-year overland journey to India during the Tang dynasty in the seventh century. Xuan Zang (c. 602 - 664), was a Chinese Buddhist monk, scholar, traveler, and translator who […]
- Covert Operation (2014) A bounty hunter trapped in Asia, is promised his freedom in return for a rescue mission. On his search for the missing British secret service agent, he travels between the border of China and North Korea, where the mission takes a turn for the […]
- The Story of China S01E05 – The Last Empire China's last empire, the Qing, lasted from 1644 to 1912. It began in violence and war as the Manchus swept down from the north, but invaders became emperors, with three generations of one family ruling the country. Among them, Michael Wood argues, was China's greatest emperor - Kangxi. […]
- The Great Wall (2015) The Great Wall has been completed at its most southerly point.’ So begins Kafka’s short story ‘At the Building of the Great Wall of China’, and so, at Europe’s heavily militarised south-eastern frontier, begins this film. In the shadow of its own narratives of freedom, Europe has been […]
- Secret City S01E05 – Ghosts In The Machine Season 1, Episode 5 – “Ghosts In The Machine”
Determined to become hunter rather than prey, Harriet convinces ASIO agent Charles Dancer to pursue her attacker and the murderer while she investigates how a Chinese assassin can operate in Australia with apparent impunity.
Beneath the […]